Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

IBM

I sort of always felt I wanted some IBM but be careful for what you wish for. I have been losing some of the use of my legs lately. It seemed like little things like it being a little harder to get up when I got down on the floor to reach something. I was little slow going up and down stairs. I became aware of this while I was taking Physical Therapy for a weak knee. In fact, the leg I was having trouble with when I started PT is now my strongest leg. I had a doctor appointment last week so I waited until them to bring it up. I told the doctor "You know when you are going to do 10 reps of an exercise and you have done nine and are not sure if you can make the next one? Well, that's how I start out." Her first diagnosis was to have me do a stress test to see if my heart was O.K. Then she had me take another blood test to see if I might have her first guess. Got a call in the afternoon and said I was negative for malady she was looking for so I should drop my cholesterol meds, drink plenty of water over the weekend and go in for fasting blood work on Monday morning. Monday afternoon, she called and said she was going to treat me for Poly myositis. If that is what I have, the steroid treatment should correct it. If not, then I may have Inclusion Body Myositis (IBM). My dosage is 3 pills a day for three days, 2 pills a day for three days and then a pill a day for three days. So I should see some result by the end of 9 days or It might be IBM for which they currently don’t have medication for.

The good news is that it is not fatal. You don’t die from it but you might lose your balance and fall down and when you are 69 years old, that may not be pretty.

I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment